Joint Apprenticeship & Training
Four Year Apprenticeship Programs
Sheet Metal Worker (HVAC Work) and Service & Controls Technicians
It’s not just a job, but a career that offers benefits such as: Health Insurance, Pension Plan, 401-K, and no cost training in all aspects of the trade.
Sheet Metal Worker: apprentices learn safety, mathematics, pattern development & layout, drafting, computer drafting, welding (Mig, Tig, Gas, Arc), plasma cutting, blueprint reading, OSHA 30-Hour, basic refrigeration, HVAC systems & design, shop fabrication, testing & balancing HVAC systems, filtration, indoor air quality, and specialty exhaust systems (fiberglass, stainless steel, PVC, etc.)
Service and Controls Technician: Apprentices learn safety, refrigeration, heating, controls, basic electricity, low voltage wiring, HVAC systems, basic blueprint reading, duct design, EPA certifications, motors, troubleshooting and repair of HVAC equipment.
Apprentices can work on residential or commercial HVAC systems and will be required to attend 200 classroom hours of related instruction per year (5 separate weeks of concentrated training, scheduled over the school year).
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must be 18 years or older.
- Applicant must supply a copy of their High School Diploma or GED with the application.
- Applicant must provide two forms of ID (drivers license or state ID, & social security card) at time of application.
- The applicant must complete the application at the JATC Office in person. Hours are Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- All applicants are placed on the applicant list and will be contacted periodically to verify continuing interest.
- Applicants will need reliable transportation. Many jobs require personal transportation to various job sites, including sites outside the apprentice’s hometown.
- Contractors may require a valid drivers license and proof of insurance as a condition of employment.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS WILL CAUSE THE APPLICATION TO BE TERMINATED.
The starting wage for 1st period apprentices is $16.14/hour plus fringe benefits. Wages increase every six months upon successful completion of each period. The current journey person rate is $32.27/hour plus fringe benefits. Employment is not guaranteed but is dependent on the current demand for employees in the construction industry. Our goal is to keep apprentices working while learning the trade in a safe and productive manner. Layoffs can occur for various reasons including slowing down of construction, poor work performance, etc.
Sheet Metal Workers Local Union 49 JATC
2300 Buena Vista SE., Suite 138
Albuquerque, NM 87106